Thursday, August 4, 2011

Racism & Diversity


In Spain, nearly everyone is Spanish. It seems like almost every person here besides me shares the same tan skin, brown hair, and dark eyes. After all, these are the same people lucky enough to share a long history of genealogy with the likes of Penelope Cruz and Enrique Iglesias. I think it’s safe to say that Spain isn’t very diverse. I think it also might be safe to say that my blonde hair and pasty white skin explain pretty well why I, Bryan Steele, have surprisingly been labeled exotic by some of my Spanish friends. But I digress.
In contrast, California is known for its diversity. Some cities are pretty white up in the northern parts, but statistically, the recipe breaks down to something like; one- third white (Caucasians are quickly becoming a minority in most cities), a heaping cup of Asians, a few clusters of blacks, and a whole lot of Mexicans (quickly becoming a majority in many cities). After throwing a dash of Persians, Arabs, and the very unwelcome Canadian population into the equation, the people of California are lucky enough to be able to live in a huge melting pot of food, language, skin tones and cultures. Unfortunately, I don’t think Californians realize or embrace the gift of diversity that they receive on a daily basis. Many Californians, dare I say it, are racist.
We see it every day, everywhere. During my time in public school, I don’t think I’ve ever once seen a white kid sit at the ‘Mexican’ table during lunch, and the Mexican and black kids always sat at strictly segregated tables. I can’t even begin to describe the vast ocean of vocabulary, good and bad, that I’ve accumulated over the years to describe not only my personal white-ness, but also the skin color and cultures of my segregated friends in the cafeteria as well.  In addition to the lack of Jesse Jackson in school cafeterias, the whole Mexi-Cali border/immigration debate sparks up tons of deep-seeded racism, rooted deeply within our 300 year-plus differences with our amigos downstairs.
Oh, but wait, 300 years is nothing when compared to European history. Compared to world history, the 300-year history of the U.S. – Mexico border is merely a toddler playing chess with old men. European countries shared their borders and cultures for several centuries while our rebellious ancestors were still suckling at the tit of Great Britain.
Spain, while lacking diversity, shares borders with France and Portugal, and sits a short 14-mile swim away from Morocco, the northern tip of Africa. Additionally, one can fly to virtually any western European country in about an hour-long flight.
 I’m not trying to say that Spaniards are some sort of mother-Theresa, humanitarian, precedent setting, group of anti-racist utopian angels. The Spanish definitely have their racism. After all, the Spanish equivalents of 7-11’s are called “Chino’s,” because Chinese people work there. And I’m pretty sure they don’t like the French. (Can you blame them?) But instead of being blatantly racist like many Californians I know and call family, it seems like the Europeans at the very least respect other cultures, and I think that’s the main difference between our European counterparts and us.

The Germans drink their beer and wear their lederhosen, the Spanish nap during siesta and dance all night, the British wear funny hats to weddings and talk about the Queen, and the Dutch, well I’m not really sure what they do, but the rest of the Europeans let them do their thing, and that’s cool. Once you’re an E.U. citizen, or even a EU/ Spanish VISA holder like me, you have free roam throughout the EU. The borders are more open than the beer taps in an Irish pub, and people float freely in between countries like the river of wine that carries me away every weekend here in Cádiz. I don’t think the drinking metaphors aptly describe my point, but again, I digress.
The economic similarities between EU countries help quell a lot of immigration debate, and the economic disparities and current recession between Mexico and the U.S. add to a major part of the debate as well. The economic ties of the EU fostered connections and mutual acceptance while the economic differences push us away from the beauty and possible life lessons that lie in Mexico. Add in the drug trafficking problems and our current ‘recession,’ and it becomes pretty apparent why there is a wall separating us like animals from our fellow human beings. I should’ve known that it all comes down to money.
I think we need to suck it up and realize that there is a lot to learn from other countries. If knowledge is power, (and as an American, I know we like our power) why are we pushing ourselves away from the knowledge that lies in Mexico, barricaded by walls of racist agendas and paranoid tabloids? Instead of corking up the bottle of immigration and cultural understanding, why can’t we sit back, pop the cork, pour a glass, and share some memories with our southern amigos and the Canadians? Well, maybe not the Canadians. That’s just pushing it. Then again, maybe I’ll discover that our neighbors up north aren’t so bad after all.
               Me, being exotic, and fighting racism, three Spanish girls at a time.






Word of the Day: Pensar - To think.
A veces, yo pienso sobre cosas importantes y socialmente relevantes también, pero no mucho. Sometimes, I also think about important and socially relevant things, but not very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment