Sunday, August 21, 2011

5 Things in Oporto, Portugal

I had a break in between Cádiz and my year in Barcelona, so I decided to go check out Portugal for a week. I spent the first three days in Oporto, in the north of Portugal at the Magnólia Hostel near the Gothic quarter.

1. Go to McDonald's. Trust me.
Yeah, I ordered a beer there. No big deal.
2. Go taste port wine, Spanish wine's sweet and stronger alternative, in the place it was named after. It's free too. Sweet Berry Wine.
3. Go check out the view from the bridges, there's a few, but you can see the Dom Luís bridge in the distance. You can't take a bad picture in Oporto, it's a fact. The view is simply unreal.

4. Eat a Francesa, Oporto's culinary masterpiece.

It's a sandwich, with sausage, ham, and steak, doused in cheese, topped with an egg, resting delicately upon a precious bed of fries. I've never been so happy. It might have literally been the best moment of my life. Just look at the meaty layers of Portuguese goodness.

5. Go back to McDonald's and get the Portuguese version of a McFlurry. Magical.
These crazy bastards team up with Magnum chocolate, drip fudge into the McFlurry, and sprinkle brownie bits into the orgy of chocolate. Ridículo.

Oporto was incredible. I've never seen a city like it. A bit quieter than Lisboa, Oporto is rich with history, picturesque views, and really welcoming people. Oporto is a quirky mix of old world charm and interesting geography to create a city with a really unique character. I give it 10/10 and two big thumbs up. The food alone, hell, the McDonald's by itself makes me want to go back to this place.


Enjoy one last view of Oporto rooftops, taken from the Sé do Porto Cathedral.
Ok, maybe just one more.



Word of the Day: Sabroso - Tasty : Oporto es una ciudad muy sabroso. Oporto is a tasty city.

No comments:

Post a Comment