Sunday, October 9, 2011

Sensation White

    With the hands of my dwindling budget placing a tightening grasp around the neck of my travel plans and suffocating my weekend lifestyle, I've begun to realize that living and studying in Barcelona is not just a vacation, or non-stop party, as many people might think. In fact, some parts of living abroad change things that I once found simple into really difficult tasks. Back in Davis, I could wake up 4 minutes before class, and stroll into the classroom with time to spare. Here in Barcelona, I can barely find classes, it takes about 45 minutes to get to the campus on a good day, and to top it off, classes are taught in Spanish, which is a surprisingly difficult language to understand. Add the fact that I'm the pasty-white foreign kid with a thick accent, combined with how often teachers cancel classes, and how expensive everything is, you can see how things might be slightly different from my cozy college town and Taco Bell dollar menus back in California.
    But then again, I can't complain, and I might very well be a shameless hypocrite. Last night, I went to "Sensation White," where some 10,000 people wear nothing but white to a 'house' concert that stops in various cities in Europe (House is a type of techno for those of you who didn't know). Last night it stopped off in Palau San Jordi, here in Barcelona.
   It was a sight, to say the least. They call it 'an ocean of white' and while you might not be able to see it here, the energy and thousands of snow-white uniforms helped me realize why Europe is the party and techno capital of the world. Just look at those lazers. Or, do yourself a favor and just look at us.

   Now I just have to figure out when I'll wear those white pants again. Did everything stay white? Absolutely not. Will I wear those pants again? Probably not. Did I have a great time? Yeah, it was alright.

Word of the Day: Blanco - White
Llevamos ropa blanca a Sensation. We wore white clothes to Sensation.

No comments:

Post a Comment